Tuesday, August 31, 2010

have been so busy with the move and the start of school. i finally finished netherland though --

"Who is he?" I said.

She gave me a name. She told me, without my asking, that he was a chef.

"I'll leave tomorrow," I said, and Rachel gave a horrible little nod.

I brushed Jake's teeth with his dinosaur-themed toothbrush. I read him a story - at his insistence,
Where the Wild Things Are, even though it frightened him a little, this story of a boy whose bedroom is overtaken by a forest - and calibrated his bedroom's dimmer switch according to his instructions. "More light," a voice softly commanded from his bedding, and I gave him more light. Rachel stood at the door, arms folded. Later, as I packed my belongings in the adjoining room, I heard a childish squeal of protest. "What's going on?" I said. "Nothing," Rachel said. "He's just making a fuss." I saw that she had completely lowered the dimmer. I restored the light in a rage. "I won't have my son sleeping in the dark," I said to Rachel in a near shout. "Jake," I said, "from now on you sleep with the light on, if that's what you want. Daddy says so. OK?" He widened his eyes in assent. "OK," I said. Trembling, I kissed him. "Good night, my boy," I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment